Monday, December 20, 2010

BEEF JERKY WEEKEND!

All right so my beef jerky is good....Tootie says so to.  On the way to Tennessee we got a bag of Jack Links....it's not so good.  I wonder if those guys have to mess with Sasquatch just to get the taste out of their mouth or something.  There's no flavor!  No seasoning, no nothing.  You probably get more flavor out of a piece of shoe leather.  The best store bought jerky I've had has always been Pemican....but of course can't find that in Naptown anymore. 

So I asked Sonny to borrow his food dehydrator many years ago and started making my own using his recipe, it's much better than any store bought beef jerky, plus I can make it as spicy as I'd like.  Then a few years ago I was given a dehydrator for Christmas and I make more stuff now as well.

But to make the Jerky since everyone asks, I get my meat (5 pounds) from The House of Meats in Anderson's.  You can have them slice it as thick or thin as you'd like, I got for a 1/4 inch thickness. Then you need some seasons like Soy Sauce, Worchestire, Liquid Smoke, Garlic and Onion Powder, pepper flakes, black pepper and brown sugar.  Sorry precise amounts are proprietary, but you can find any recipe on the internet as well as how to make your own Jerky using the oven and not a dehydrator.

Here's all the supplies....(Beer in the background is a must!)



Mix everything together...



Now toss the meat in and let it marinate for a few hours (2 or 3) I let it go over night though....And stir the meat every once in a while to make sure that all the meat gets the marinade on it.


When the meat is ready stack it on the trays....



Let the dehydrator run for about 24 to 30 hours... then cut up the dry meat into small strips across the meat grain (makes it easier to chew pieces).  Store the meat in small zip lock bags and keep them in the cupboard.  I don't know how long it lasts, it doesn't last around me or Tootie for that matter for to long.

Now some people would tell you that you should cut the fat off the pieces.  I say it's up to you, I leave the fat on there because those little pieces (sometimes big pieces) are like little pieces of Flavor-town that if not enjoyed the mayor of Flavor-town will have you arrested.

That's the jerky I enjoy most, they'll be some experimenting but at a later time, maybe some BBQ or really spicy stuff I don't know.....I"ll take input in the comments or orders...but it'll cost ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment